In an effort to save and protect the original home of the Church, NPBC has started a fund raising effort to replace the roof. If you are interested in donating to this fund please call 434-922-7169 for further information.
In 1778 Maple Creek Meeting House was formed as a place of worship for residents of Amherst County. Services were held here until 1828 when members of Maple Creek Meeting House built a log church in the Prospect community (now known as Pleasant View) and started the New Prospect Baptist Church. The first meeting was held on September 6, 1828. The land the current church is situated on was purchased in July of 1847 for a sum of $2.00. Church members built a frame building, with balcony, to replace the original log church. The first meeting was held on October 3, 1847 even though the church building was incomplete. The entire community met to worship. The steepled church building still standing on the current grounds was built in 1890. No records exist to indicate what happened to the previous building. During this time period NPBC belonged to a "Church Field" consisting of several other churches that shared a pastor. Worship services were held in this building until 1997 when the Family Life Center was completed with a new sanctuary.
In 1934 an auditorium was built for the local Pleasant View school. This auditorium was purchased from the Amherst County School Board in 1968. It was dedicated as the NPBC Social Hall on August 4th. The purchase and conversion were made possible by existing and former members of NPBC along with donations from the members of Wisconsin Avenue Baptist Church in Washington, D.C.
Work began on the Family Life Center in 1994 and was completed in 1996. Originally the center was to house the church office and a sports area on the first floor and classrooms in the basement. However, due to damage occurring in the sports area it was decided to build a covered pavilion that would allow sports programs as well as a place for other outdoor activities. The pavilion has been used for revivals, gospel sings, basketball, hockey, yard sales and a myriad of other activities (see picture above next to Social Hall). The sports area in the FLC was then converted to a larger sanctuary with a large stage and seating for more than twice the number of the old sanctuary. Also included in the remodel was a new sound and video control room with all new sound equipment, computer, video camera and recording equipment. The church office has since been moved to another location and that room is now used for classes and as a meeting room.
The most recent addition to the NPBC properties is the house and garage across the road. In 2002 the house/garage and approximately 50 acres was purchased. The church office was recently moved to the house and the garage is currently being used for the food bank ministry. The remaining land is for future expansion. Please see the "Food Bank" page for further information on the food bank ministry.
New Prospect Baptist Church 2209 Buffalo Springs Turnpike Monroe, Virginia 24574 Phone: (434) 922-7169
Copyright (c) 2013
Copyright (c) 2013